Tax Document Checklist
Printable Tax Document Checklist
For tax appointments, you need to bring the following:
- Your social security card and social security cards for your spouse and children. (If you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), please bring a copy of the ITIN Notice.)
- Forms such as a W-2, 1099, 1042-S or other statements or information reporting income, including: scholarships, grants and fellowships.
- All 1099 forms showing interest, dividends, capital gains. (Please note: If you had significant investment activity in 2012, you may be referred to a private preparer.)
- Form 1098-T from all colleges and universities you attended in 2012. The KU Bursar has more information to obtain a copy of your 1098. In addition, please bring your tuition statements showing tuition and fees paid and any financial aid (including scholarships, grants and loans) received in 2012. This information may be found by logging into your KU Enroll & Pay account and clicking on “Campus Finances.” Click "Account Inquiry" and then select the "Activity" tab. Print all relevant dates.
- Information showing total amounts paid for course-related books, supplies and equipment in 2012. Please calculate total amounts of expenses prior to your appointment.
- Copies of your federal and state income tax returns from last year.
- Your checkbook in order to verify your routing number and bank account number for direct deposit of refunds.
- If you plan to itemize deductions, statements showing your medical expenses, home mortgage interest, gifts to charity, real estate and personal property tax, unreimbursed employee expenses etc.
- Your KU identification card.
- If you are an international student or scholar, please bring your passport (with US visas, I-94) and your I-20 or DS-2019.
- A completed copy of the Intake and Interview Sheet. You must print and complete this form before your tax appointment:
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.